SMALL DIVERSE BUSINESSES
The Bureau of Diversity, Inclusion & Small Business Opportunities (BDISBO) verifies self-certified Small Businesses that wish to participate as Minority, Woman, Veteran, Service Disabled Veteran, LGBT, and Disability-Owned Business Enterprises through the Small Diverse Businesses program. Eligible Small Business must hold certifications as diverse businesses with one of the Department’s approved third-party certification entities.
Follow the step-by-step process below to complete self-certification as a small business and verification as a small diverse business.
STEP 1 – SUPPLIER REGISTRATION
To register as a vendor visit the
PA Supplier Portal and click on Suppler Registration. Not sure if your company is registered? Don't know your registration number? Call toll free: (877) 435-7363 (option 1), or email
Proceed to Step 2 if you already have a PA Vendor Number.
STEP 2 – SMALL BUSINESS SELF-CERTIFICATION REGISTRATION
Small business self-certification, a two-year certification which requires biannual renewal, is a prerequisite for verification as a Small Diverse Business. Visit
smallbusiness.pa.gov for program guidelines, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), and step-by-step instructions for the self-certification process.
A business must meet the following requirements to self-certify as a small business. The business:
- Must be a for-profit, United States business.
- Must be independently owned
- May not be dominant in its field of operations
- May not employ more than 100 full-time equivalent employees.
- May not exceed three-year average gross revenues of $38.5 Million, regardless of business type.
Businesses will be required to upload the first page of the company's three most recent federal tax returns which are required to verify annual gross revenues. You may redact your federal tax identification number, if desired. Acceptable file formats for tax upload include Portable Document Format (PDF) and Joint Photographic Group (JPG).
- Federal form 1120, the U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return
- Federal form 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation
- Federal form 1065, the U.S. Return of Partnership Income
- Federal form 1040 Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business, Sole Proprietorship
To access the small business application and begin the certification process:
- Go to
https://bdisbo.prismcompliance.com and click Self-Certify or Recertify As A Small and/or Small Diverse Business > Start Application > Start Application
- Enter your company's Tax Identification Number (without dashes or spaces) and 6-digit Vendor ID (SAP #).
TIP: If you do not know your Vendor ID, contact the Supplier Service Center at
RA-PSCSRMPORTAL@pa.gov or (877) 435-7363, option 1.
- Click to certify as SB Only if self-certifying as a Small Business only or SB & SDB if self-certifying as a Small and verifying as a Small Diverse Business.
TIP: Select SB & SDB only if your company holds a current certification through one of the approved third-parties as shown below; otherwise, select SB Only. Those who self-certify as Small Businesses only may verify as a Small Diverse Businesses at a later date, if they choose, by contacting BDISBO at RA-SmallBusiness@pa.gov or calling 717-783-3119. View our
application guide step-by-step instructions.
STEP 3 – SMALL DIVERSE BUSINESS VERIFICATION
This step is optional and is required only for those companies wishing to verify as Small Diverse Businesses.
The Department of General Services accepts approved third-party certifications from any of the following entities:
*These are disadvantaged business certifications which are accepted for Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) and Woman Business Enterprise (WBE) only. Additional proof of ethnicity and/or gender must be submitted at time of verification.
Once BDISBO has received and verified all information, the applicant business will be included in the online database located at
www.dgs.internet.state.pa.us/suppliersearch as a Small Business and, if applicable, Small Diverse Business.