Begin Main Content Area

​Apply for the Small Business Contracting Program

The Small Business Contracting Program prepares small businesses to compete for Commonwealth of Pennsylvania government contracts.  


The Bureau of Diversity, Inclusion & Small Business Opportunities (BDISBO) helps small businesses navigate Commonwealth and PennDOT procurement process. The Commonwealth and PennDOT seek products and services ranging from catering to construction services.

Completing this process to certify your business will allow you to compete for government contracts.​


To qualify for the Small Business Contracting Program, your business must first register to do business with the Commonwealth and self-certify as a small business.

Your business must be:

  • A for-profit business in the United States
  • Independently owned

Your business cannot:

  • Be dominant in its field of operation
  • Employ more than 100 full-time equivalent employees
  • Have three-year average gross revenues exceeding $47 million      ​

Required Documents

All Small Businesses

All small businesses are required to submit:

    • Company's EIN/Federal Tax ID Number
    • Federal tax returns for three most recently filed tax years (acceptable file formats include pdf and jpg files)
      • If you filed an extension for the most recently filed tax year, please include a copy of the extension as well
    • Page 1 of federal form 1120, 1120s, 1065, or the Schedule C filed with your form 1040 
    • Company's 6-digit SAP #/Vendor ID obtained upon completing the supplier registration process

You may redact your federal tax identification number if preferred. ​

How to Apply

These instructions detail how to do business with the Commonwealth. There are additional requirements for doing business with PennDOT. Learn more about PennDOT's Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program.

Register as a Supplier

To do business with the Commonwealth, you must register as a supplier through the Pennsylvania Supplier Portal. If you already have a PA Vendor Number, you do not need to reapply.

Follow these step-by-step instructions for the supplier registration process.

Self-Certify Your Business

You must self-certify every two years to verify that your business qualifies as a small business. To self-certify your business, go to the PRISM Portal and select “Self-Certify or Recertify as a Small, Diverse, and/or Veteran Business."

Applications for business self-certification are approved immediately. Verification of Small Diverse Business and Veteran Business Enterprises will be completed within 10 business days.

Follow the step-by-step instructions for the small business self-certification process.

Minority, Woman, LBGTQ, Disabled, or Veteran Business Owners

The Commonwealth aims to fulfill nearly 31% of contracts with businesses owned by minority, women, LGBTQ, disabled, or veteran business owners.

To compete for contracts as a diverse or veteran business, you must provide proof of a valid third-party certification as small diverse businesses and/or veteran business enterprises. Learn more about applying for certification through a third-party certifier. ​

Apply Now

​Register as a Supplier

To do business with the Commonwealth, you must register as a supplier through the Pennsylvania Supplier Portal. 

Register as a Supplier

​Self-Certify Your Business

Self-certify your business as a small, diverse, and/or veteran business. ​

Submit Self-Certification

Compete For Contracts

Once you complete the process and your application for business self-certification is approved, you can begin competing for contracts. Contracts are available with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and PennDOT through separate processes. 

​Do Business with the Commonwealth

This portal includes bidding, awards, and other contract information for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Find Opportunities with the Commonwealth

​Do Business with PennDOT

PennDOT has a separate process for submitting bids and managing contracts. To compete for contracts, your business must first be registered as a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise.

Register with PennDOT

Frequently Asked Questions

What counts towards the number of people employed by my business?

To qualify as a small business, you can employ no more than 100 people. Your employee count must include all employees who are:

  • Full-time
  • Part-time
  • Temporary
  • Owners of business
  • Management personnel for all facilities

This count should include those who are working outside of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, if applicable.

How do I calculate my gross revenue?

To qualify as a small business, your three-year average gross revenues cannot exceed $47 million. Gross revenue includes your company's total revenue without any expenses deducted.

All businesses are required to submit either average gross revenue or projected gross sales depending on how long your company has been in business.

  • Business has been in business for three or more years: You must include your actual three-year average gross revenue.
  • Business has not existed for three years: Your gross revenue should include the average gross sales for the period of your business's existence.
  • New business: Your gross revenue should be based on your projected gross sales.

How can I do business with PennDOT?

There are separate processes for doing business with the Commonwealth and PennDOT. PennDOT has several programs for diverse and small businesses to help businesses get certified and find opportunities with PennDOT.  

Contact BDISBO

Email if you need support with the Small Business Contracting Program.​